Body Fat Transfer in Tampa, FL and Atlanta, GA
Fat transfer techniques (also known as fat grafting) are used to augment many areas of the body, including the buttocks, breasts, face, etc. Dr. Brandon Mang is pleased to offer fat transfer surgeries to men and women in Tampa and St. Petersburg, Florida, as well as Atlanta, Alpharetta, and the neighboring communities in Georgia. He is a trusted surgeon who will customize a plan to help you look and feel your best.
Body fat transfer involves using a patient’s own fat cells, which means that it’s biocompatible and may help eliminate the risk of allergic reaction or rejection. Also, a body fat transfer feels and looks more natural than a body implant. Dr. Mang believes in gaining the most natural results out of any surgery he performs, therefore, the fat transfer option is usually his preferred choice.
What Happens During A Body Fat Transfer?
This procedure can last approximately two or more hours depending on the size of the area(s) chosen to meet a patient’s goals.
The body fat transfer procedure can vary depending upon the technique that is chosen by Dr. Mang. The fat transfer procedure will be different based on the patient’s goals but it can be typically described in three basic steps:
- The donor site (the area where the fat will be taken from) is selected and antiseptic and anesthetic are applied to the area(s). Antiseptic and anesthetic are also applied to the area where the fat will be injected.
- The fat cells are harvested from the donor site through one of several types of liposuction. Dr. Mang prefers to use power-assisted liposuction (PAL) but may choose to use one of the other types if he feels that would yield better results.
- The fat cells that were removed from the donor site are processed and purified before they are injected into the new area. The purification process allows the new fat cells to be better received by the treated area and return better results.
More than one treatment may be required to achieve the best results. Dr. Mang will discuss this during the initial consultation to ensure an ideal outcome. Each time the procedure is repeated, more fat accumulates in the treated area. This tends to offer longer-lasting results.
What is the Cost of a Body Fat Transfer?
Dr. Mang is conscious of his patients’ budgets and keeps his prices competitive. Plastic surgery procedures can range depending on the needs and goals of each patient, therefore, it is important to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mang to discuss pricing. At Mang Plastic Surgery, we believe that a cosmetic procedure is an investment in your self-confidence, which will be beneficial for years to come. Sometimes that may be costly, and that is why we offer financing through CareCredit®.
Preparing For A Body Fat Transfer
The preparation for your surgery starts during your consultation. Your needs and desires are unique and the consultation is a time for us to get on the same page as well as discuss your expectations and answer any questions you have about your surgery. In the consultation we will ask about your medical history and require a list of medications you are currently taking.
Review With Dr. Mang
- Stop smoking. It is important to discontinue the use of cigarettes and other nicotine products as they constrict blood vessels and slow the healing and recovery process.
- Avoid alcohol. This is not long term, but alcohol use should be discontinued for at least two weeks before surgery and two weeks after surgery.
- Vitamins and other OTC drugs. Discontinue the use of these for at least two weeks before surgery.
- Pain medication. Dr. Mang may prescribe you pain medication to alleviate any discomfort. It is important to fill these prior to surgery and bring them to the procedure.
- Drink water. Water is a very helpful tool both before and after surgery. It is important to drink plenty of water before surgery and after. Water helps flush out toxins.
- Aspirin and Ibuprofen. Discontinue the use of both of these for at least two weeks before and after surgery. These products thin your blood and can interfere with your body’s ability to heal.
- Getting home. After surgery driving is prohibited. Arrange for transportation home.
What To Expect After Surgery
Work: Time away from work will vary depending on your procedure combination. Dr. Mang will advise you of this during your initial consultation. If a high level of activity is required for your job, make Dr. Mang aware of this, so he can set a time frame that will be appropriate for you to return to work.
Swelling and Bruising: Bruising and swelling will disappear after a few weeks. The treated area may be red for the first 48 hours following your fat transfer. Scabs may also form at the injection site. Dr. Mang advises his patients to use the herb arnica before and after surgery to help prevent and minimize swelling and bruising.
Showering: You may shower after your dressings and drains (if placed) have been removed.
Discomfort: Discomfort can be moderate. The more procedures that you have at once, the more discomfort you will feel. Pain medication prescribed by your surgeon can help minimize it, but if discomfort persists, contact your surgeon immediately.
Recovery: Begin walking as soon as possible. This reduces swelling, lowers your chances of blood clots and tones muscle. Sutures, if needed, may be removed 10 to 14 days after surgery. Bandages are removed after one to four days. Dr. Mang may instruct you to wear a support garment for a recommended amount of time. He will discuss all these post-op instructions with you after your surgery.
Results: Final results from body fat transfer may not be fully realized for several months after the procedure. Each patient heals and scars differently. It is vital to keep in mind that the results of this procedure vary from patient to patient. However, most patients will enjoy their final results within six to 12 months.
Body fat transfer is a great way for men and women to use their own body fat to plump or fill another desired location. Dr. Mang is board-certified plastic surgeon serving patients in Tampa and St. Petersburg, Florida, as well as Atlanta, Alpharetta, and the neighboring communities in Georgia. Contact us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mang today.