Otoplasty (Ear Surgery) in Tampa, FL
Otoplasty, or ear surgery, is a great option for men, women, and children who are embarrased by the size and shape of their eyes. Otoplasty is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures for children. Trust this procedure to a board-certified plastic surgeon. Dr. Brandon Mang is well-respected and known for his caring, compassionate nature and natural-looking results.
Ear reshaping, also known as otoplasty, is intended to place protruding ears in a more natural position. This surgery may be performed any time after the age of four or five. By that time, the ears have reached 85 percent of their adult size so there will be little, if any, subsequent change.
What Happens During an Otoplasty?
Otoplasty may last between two to three hours. To begin, your surgeon will fold your ear forward and make a small incision in the back of the ear to expose the ear cartilage. Depending on your particular needs, a piece of cartilage may or may not be removed. The cartilage is folded back on itself, pinned, and sutured to maintain the newly created shape of your ear.
For younger children, general anesthesia is commonly used so they will sleep throughout the procedure. For teenagers and adults, surgeons prefer to use local anesthesia and may combine it with a sedative. This way you will be awake, but very relaxed.
What is the Cost of Ear Surgery?
Dr. Mang is conscious of his patients’ budgets and keeps his prices competitive. Plastic surgery procedures can range depending on the needs and goals of each patient, therefore, it is important to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mang to discuss pricing. At Mang Plastic Surgery, we believe that a cosmetic procedure is an investment in your self-confidence, which will be beneficial for years to come. Sometimes that may be costly, and that is why we offer financing through CareCredit®.
Review With Dr. Mang
- Stop smoking. It is important to discontinue the use of cigarettes and other nicotine products as they constrict blood vessels and slow the healing and recovery process.
- Avoid alcohol. This is not long term, but alcohol use should be discontinued for at least two weeks before surgery and two weeks after surgery.
- Vitamins and other OTC drugs. Discontinue the use of these for at least two weeks before surgery.
- Pain medication. Dr. Mang may prescribe you pain medication to alleviate any discomfort. It is important to fill these prior to surgery and bring them to the procedure.
- Drink water. Water is a very helpful tool both before and after surgery. It is important to drink plenty of water before surgery and after. Water helps flush out toxins.
- Aspirin and Ibuprofen. Discontinue the use of both of these for at least two weeks before and after surgery. These products thin you blood and can interfere with your body’s ability to heal.
- Getting home. After surgery driving is prohibited. Arrange for transportation home.
Preparing For Otoplasty Surgery
The preparation for your surgery starts during your consultation. Your needs and desires are unique and the consultation is a time for us to get on the same page as well as discuss your expectations and answer any questions you have about your surgery. In the consultation we will ask about your medical history and require a list of medications you are currently taking.
What To Expect After Surgery
Work and School: You may return to work or school after approximately one week.
Discomfort: Your ears may ache and/or throb following surgery. This discomfort can be alleviated by medication prescribed by your surgeon. If pain persists, contact your surgeon immediately.
Recovery: Most patients will need to wear a tight fitting headband for at least one month after the procedure in order to secure the ears in their new position. Activities where the ears may be pushed forward, such as football, wrestling, and other similar sports, should be avoided for a month following surgery. For children, be careful when playing on the playground.
Results: Each patient heals and scars differently. It is vital to keep in mind that the results of this procedure vary from patient to patient. However, most patients will enjoy their final result within six to 12 months.
Patients with protruding, over-sized or misshapen ears, often feel self-conscious and embarrassed by this. Dr. Mang is a board-certified plastic surgeon whose expertise and compassion will garner each patient great results. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.