Do you feel like your lips are definitely looking thinner? Or perhaps they’ve always been a bit on the thin side or maybe you’ve never been totally happy with their shape. You finally decide to consider lip injections in Tampa, FL, to plump up your lips.
What are Lip Injections?
A lip injection is a cosmetic procedure designed to “plump up” and add volume and shape to thin lips. This is done by using a super-fine gauge needle to insert a dermal filler into your lips. The most common fillers used to accomplish this usually contain hyaluronic acid (HA), a natural substance in the body.
HA serves to keep your lips hydrated, which helps the appearance of increased volume and fullness. Dr. Mang frequently uses Juvéderm Volbella® or Restylane® Silk, two of the most popular lip fillers available today.
Juvéderm Volbella® is especially known for its smooth, gel-like consistency that’s been shown to provide exceptional results that last almost a year for most women.
Restylane® Silk not only plumps up the lips but also works to fill in fine lines surrounding the mouth.
How Do I Prepare for Lip Injections?
There’s not much real preparation required prior to lip injections, but there are a few things you’ll want to consider:
- No exercise the day of the procedure. You don’t want to engage in any activities that could cause an increase in blood flow to the face. So, no exercise or other strenuous activities, no therapeutic massage, and no facials.
- Avoid taking aspirins. A few days prior to the procedure, you’ll want to avoid taking anything that thins the blood and could possibly prolong bleeding. This can include aspirin or ibuprofen, vitamin E, fish oil and other blood thinners.
- If you have a history of getting cold sores – You may want to take some medication prior to the lip injection to prevent triggering of cold sores.
- Have realistic expectations. For the most natural-looking results, you may want to increase the size of your lips gradually. Listen to the doctor’s advice as to how much lip enlargement is recommended. In order for you to look your best, you’ll want your lips to still be in proper proportion to the rest of your face.
- Don’t plan a major event. You’ll want to have at least three days between the lip injection and any major life event, like a wedding or graduation, to give any bruising time to subside.
- You’ll need your medical history. You’ll need to provide a list of any medications you’re currently taking as well as any issues you may have with blood pressure, problems with blood clotting, allergies, scarring and whether or not you smoke.
You’ll be given specific pre-procedure instructions for your unique circumstances at your initial consultation, and the doctor will need to know if you’ve had any lip injections performed in the last two to four months.
What to Expect from a Lip Injection Procedure
Lip injections are typically performed in the doctor’s office or clinic and generally take less than 30 minutes from start to finish, including any pre-procedure numbing time.
You may feel a pinch as the needle is inserted and a small amount of stinging as the filler is injected. The doctor may follow up by gently massaging the lips or applying ice.
Following the procedure, there’s practically no downtime at all, and you can resume your normal activities immediately. If you had pre-procedure numbing done, the numbness should wear off after about 15 minutes.
You’ll see results immediately, but prepare to also see some slight swelling for the first 24 hours or so. Some bruising and possible bleeding may also appear within the first few hours. These issues will usually resolve themselves within a few days.
When the procedure is done right, your lips will feel no different than before, even though they’ll look plumper and fuller. Depending on the dermal filler used, your results can last from four to six months to almost a year.
As the hyaluronic acid is absorbed by the body, your lips will gradually return to their original state unless you return for additional lip injections.
If you have any questions about whether lip injections are right for you, contact us today to set up a private consultation.